Friday, January 27, 2012

Thanks!

Elgin has been such a faithful blog-poster for me during these last several weeks. Today I want to review several ways that I experienced God's presence and His peace during this time.

First, those of you that know me know that I struggle greatly with fear. Facing this surgery seemed like a really big deal and I had many fears going into it. It wouldn't take much of anything and I would be over the edge, consumed with fears and the tears would just start cascading. The day before the surgery a group of sweet friends came together for a breakfast and a time of praying over me. Elgin and I headed to Wichita in the afternoon and met with Dr. Whitaker again so I could get "marked". Following that appointment we checked into our hotel and then tried to find things to do to occupy my mind so I wouldn't dwell on the next day.

The day of the surgery I awoke with such a peace, totally a gift from the Lord. That was truly a peace beyone all human comprehension. We called for Wesley Security to come pick us up at the hotel and deliver us to the hospital. As we got into the Security's vehicle, the driver had previously tuned his radio to a Christian station and I was blessed once again with hearing an old hymn. To this day I don't remember what hymn it was, just remember thinking that that music was another God-thing at 4:45 a.m.!!!

Elgin stayed by my side in the hospital the entire time I was there. He slept on a roll-away bed in my room and was there for anything I needed. Another God-thing!

Today is Elgin's last day of vacation---he used three weeks of his vacation to stay with me and tend to my every need! What a blessing that has been to have him home with me. This last Monday when we went to our first post-op appointment with Dr. Whitaker the nurse commented to me "your husband is so attentive to your every need. You just don't usually see that. How long have you guys been married?" I told her it was 31 years and she said "that is just a miracle. You just don't see that anymore." I'm so grateful to God for blessing me with Elgin and I'm grateful that our relationship to each other can be a testimony to others in this world. Elgin continues to stand by me as my emotions catch up with everything that has happened in these last 2.5 weeks. I am blessed to have a husband that stands by me in that way. Thank you God!!!

Sheree

PS -- I sat down at the piano today and I could still play!!! I'm so grateful for music and the way it quiets my spirit.

PPSS --- A HUGE thanks goes out to my Mom and Dad. They also have walked thru this with me and have given of their time to come to Abilene both last week and this week to do our laundry and ironing.

PPPSSS --- Another HUGE thanks to my sisters, Cindy and Deb, for coming to Abilene yesterday to clean our home. Oh my, it smelled so good and clean after they left.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Sheree, of how the Lord blessed you (and used you and Elgin) these past few weeks. HE isn't finished yet! I've enjoyed reading each of your blogs and keeping up with your progress. I've been keeping up with another friend who is in rehab; she,too, was so excited to get back to the piano. Music is a gift from God. May HE continue to give you strength, wisdom, and patience for each day. The Lord bless.

    ReplyDelete