Thursday, February 2, 2012

Another First

As we've said before, the only way to recover from this type of back surgery is to walk, so each day I try to walk. We've been blessed with such wonderful weather here in Abilene that has allowed me to get outside to do my walking. On top of that, I've been blessed to have friends volunteer to "walk me". My goal is to walk in both the morning and afternoon.

Today was a first --- I put on sox and tennis shoes. Previously, I've been walking in some slip-on shoes. Today I decided it was time to try to put on sox and tied walking shoes. It was kinda challenging as I'm unable to bend at my waist, so I propped one leg up on top of the other, put the sock on, then the shoe. The shoes are tied off-center, but they are tied.

Putting shoes and sox on is just another in an entire list of things that will have to be done in a "new normal" manner. It's amazing how careful I am as I handle things --- sure don't want it to fall to the floor 'cause then I have to kneel down, pick the "whatever" up, and bring myself back up to a standing position.

Nothing bad --- just a new way of doing things!

1 comment:

  1. Good job!!!! Proud of you. Keep it up. Sounds like you won't be outside for a little while, at least according to what we hear. Yes, it is learning new things or new ways for old things. I'll keep praying.

    ReplyDelete