Monday, April 2, 2012

No More Brace!!!

Oops, in the excitement of being given the green light to take off the brace I forgot to update my blog!

Last Wednesday Elgin and I returned to Dr. Whitaker's office for our 11 week and one day check-up (but who's counting?!!). Once again, x-rays were taken and the rods and screws continue to be just where Dr. Whitaker placed them. He asked if I was ready to get rid of the brace and I didn't waste any time thinking about an answer. He said I could either just take it off or I could wean off it. I chose the former --- took it off in the Target parking lot and didn't look back! I did put it back on Saturday morning so I could clean our house --- didn't want to do anything that could potentially harm my back.

I asked the doctor if there was anything I could do to enhance fusion. He responded by saying that I shouldn't take up smoking or develop diabetes. I for sure won't do the former and hopefully I'll continue good eating and exercise habits so I won't develop diabetes.

I obtained a copy of the surgical report several weeks ago. Reading thru the report made me realize once again the magnitude of this surgery. In case you're interested, the screws in the thoracolumbar area are 5.5 x 45 mm, the lumbar spine screws are 6.5 x 45 mm, 7.5 mm screws were put into the sacrum as well as 80 mm x 7.5 screws into the iliac wings.

Today I'm grateful to God for His creation, for the way He created our bodies to heal, and for gifting surgeons like Dr. Whitaker. Please continue to pray for complete fusion all along the 16.5" incision!!

2 comments:

  1. Everyone is counting lol. I am 2 days from 6 months post-operative and post-op timelines are gauged much in the same way the first couple years of a child's life is. In weeks and then months. The process is so long and important, that "3 months" or "One Year" just don't cover it the way "13 Weeks" or "14 Months" do. Hang in there, you sound like you are doing well. Being rid of that brace is such an amazing relief. Keep it handy for large public gatherings so people don't bump into you or if you are going to be sitting long term, airplane etc. It is still helpful to me. My blog is...www.scoliosissurgerysurvivor.com If you ever have any questions, no matter how private, I am more than willing to answer. Good luck to you <3

    Amanda

    Scoliosis Surgery Survivor

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also a device that can enhance the success of your fusion it is called a bone graft stimulator or a spinal stim unit. If your insurance won't cover it the company is very forgiving and will generally just forgive the balance. The company I received mine through is called Orthofix. It ups the success rate of fusions from 64% to 92% and failed fusions and they are even used in failed fusions.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete